I have never seen any other solution (for GWT) that is even close to RPC.
It doesn't matter for me if it's part of GWT or it will be a separate
library. You can change the name if it's not popular any more why not ? Not
only that, I really think it's better to change the name of future GWT (v3)
to something else, as "GWT "is not popular any more. In contrary it's very
unpopular last few years and almost everyone is trying to escape from it.