I agree this is mostly a misuse like you said. We don't have any internal
usage in all Google either so I would rather push users to not
declare/catch such exceptions. Keeping such classes opens the door for
more: https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/21320
I think IDE warnings in couple of corner cases is just a minor
inconvenience for the end user.