This is the way it's done.

You can think of JavaScript as running on the event-dispatch-thread.

Therefore, opening a DialogBox and making the thread wait until a button is
clicked results in the following on the queue:

| wait for click | ->  | click event |

the wait for click will wait for ever since it never lets the thread move onto
the "click event" task and process the actual event.

This is a simplification, but in essence the way it works. I wrote about this
problem in terms of GWT RPC... but the principal is the same:

http://lemnik.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/gwt-rpc-is-called-aynchronous-for-a-reason/

Hope that explains things a bit.