Yes, the problem is about sufficient tools to provide appropriate
information for the translators, but indirectly also about GWTs use of
conventional java property files and their lack of support for meta
data. I filed an issue about the need for better translator tools
here:
   http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=2926
and apparently google works actively on supporting XLIFF as an
alternative to property files. (XLIFF is a standard for exchanging
translations which allows meta data and even non-Germanic plural
forms.) This will be a *huge* improvement of GWT towards large
internationalized deployments. Property files just isn't an elegant
solution.

However, I can't find any information about the progress on
implementing XLIFF and unfortunately my question about it to this
group also resulted in no answers:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/f332ae539b9bb6f4

So I guess the conclusion on all this is the following: Until XLIFF is
supported by GWT, the only way of providing appropriate information to
the translators is to manually build various somewhat un-elegant
contraptions upon version trackers, diff and possibly other tools to
provide non-techie-readable output. When XLIFF support arrives, there
will (finally) be a base on which tools like the "merge tool" I
mention in the above issue (#2926) can be build. Such a tool would
ease the work for both developers and translators considerably.

Regards