On 6 oct, 13:18, Lothar Kimmeringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> C and - better - C++ helps to learn Java, but there are some
> differences you have to learn, like the way parameters are
> passed to methods and the lack of "pointers". There should be
> a couple of tutorials out there helping to switch from C++
> to Java.

@SID: if you programmed ASP.NET in C#, you won't have any problem
learning Java, as C# is almost a superset of Java (Java has no
"properties", no "indexers", no "delegates", no "value types"). What
will change, of course, is the runtime (and associated classes): JRE
vs. CLR.

But switching from ASP.NET to GWT+(some server-side runtime) also
means switching mind from a "full-AJAX" app vs. server-generated HTML
+JavaScript (no more "postbacks", even less UpdatePanel and its "async
postbacks"; everything is client-side with GWT and you basically
exchange only data with the server side of your app).

Now, switching from ASP.NET to servlets is quite easy if you already
used HttpHandlers; and GWT-RPC is similar (in use) to ASP.NET AJAX's
page methods.

> > I am also considering DRUPAL as another alternative. I have never used
> > PHP as well, but some one told me that it is easy to learn PHP than
> > JAVA.
>
> Again, why do you desperately look for frameworks based on
> a language that you don't know?

And I don't understand how Drupal can even be compared to GWT+(some
server-side) or ASP.NET...