SID wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> I have come across this GWT recently and I need to know more about it
> and its usage. I need to develop some intranet applications like
> Contact Manager, Activity Manager, Some workflow for ESS (like leave
> request, business travel request, etc), and some other modules.
>
> In the past, I have been using ASP.NET for application developments. I
> have never used JAVA for any of my applications.
>
> If I decide to use GWT and JAVA, how much time will it take to learn
> and use it for my this project? Will it be tough? Do you think it is a
> good idea to use GWT for my current requirement?
>
> Though I have never used, but I have learned C, C++ during my studies.

Well, you are biting off a very large chunk at once.  We just finished
our first GWT application, and we are pretty seasoned Java developers.
The app is pretty simple, and it still took us about 2 months to figure
out how we wanted to standardize our approach.  I suppose since you'll
be doing this yourself, you won't have much discussion on building a
platform for your company.  But still, just understanding the concepts
new to GWT is quite a challenge.  In our case, we are persisting data to
a relation DB, so we had to figure out how to retrieve that, transform
it into something GWT could use, serialize to browser, etc.  All
standard GWT stuff, but quite a learning curve.

Since you've never written programs in C++ either, I'd say you should
probably give yourself 6 months for your first Java/GWT app.

--
Guy Rouillier