Finally sorted this.

I'm ashamed to say it was "coder error".  All those hours assuming it
was some kind of Firefox incompatibility when all the time it was an
extra "{" in one of the element definitions in my css file.

I only twigged it by taking it back to basics.

So basically IE is less fussy when it comes to syntax within your CSS
files.

You live and learn

Andy