Mark, I tried the patch(gears.jar from issue 201) for multiple file
upload. I am able to select multiple files both in hosted and non
hosted mode. However when I press open, I get a exception in hosted
mode(as a stacktrace in eclipse console). Works in browser(compile/
browse). Here is the error:

java.lang.ClassCastException
        at java.lang.Class.cast(Class.java:2951)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JsValueGlue.get(JsValueGlue.java:128)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.SwtOleGlue.convertVariantsToObjects(SwtOleGlue.java:
57)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.callMethod(IDispatchImpl.java:
119)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchProxy.invoke(IDispatchProxy.java:
155)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.Invoke(IDispatchImpl.java:
294)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.method6(IDispatchImpl.java:
194)
        at
org.eclipse.swt.internal.ole.win32.COMObject.callback6(COMObject.java:
117)
        at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessageW(Native Method)
        at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessage(OS.java:1925)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2966)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.pumpEventLoop(GWTShell.java:720)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.run(GWTShell.java:593)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.main(GWTShell.java:357)

Thanks for the efforts!