GWT will only access source files in the packages that you tell it to,
by default the "client" package where the module is.  You can specify
additional packages to look in if you add a tag to your module XML,
but they must be within a subpackage of the module.  Otherwise,
create  a seperate module and inherit it.

The XML for adding using an alternate package to 'client' is:

    <source path='util'/>

To add the 'util' to the packages GWT will compile.  Note that the GWT
compiler seems to process every file in the given path, so you can't
put any non-GWT-compatible code in the packages compiled by GWT.