Let's hear a bit more about that third party API for authentication.
Can you post the interface?  Is it used for managing the login form,
or does it just handle the mapping of usernames to passwords and
roles?  Depending on your answer, this may not preclude using HTTP
authentication *protocol*, which is where the simplicity/economy is to
be had.

Walden