HTTP Authentication? Don't make me laugh - it's ridiculous design, and
more importantly, users don't get it. at all. They think your app is
broken and try to browse away (only they can't, that authentication
dialog box is modal). There's also no better security there than what
you can do with cookies, as it boils down to sending the username and
password in plain text to the server. I know, I know, its base64
encoded so it doesn't look like it on first glance, but -any- sniffer -
anywhere- can see that its a Authorization header and de-base64 it.
It's the same thing from a security perspective.

There really is no problem here. If your developer can serve the
content without knowing the user's session information (which
presupposes that the session ID was checked and validated in the first
place), then its rather unlikely to be relevant,security wise. In
corporate settings there are some exceptions (downloading static
files / global uncustomized information which is still not meant for
outside eyes), but not too many.

Also, walden: You're a bit of a jackass. If someone makes a comment
that asserts a widely perceived truth (you can't log out with HTTP
basic authentication), don't answer with "But I can! Ha! Neener neener
neener!". Explain how instead of being so dense. Thanks, on behalf of
everyone else.