In answer to the criticisms of HTTP authentication:

1. The generalilzations above about user experience don't click with
my experience with users.  No one ever reported a broken application
on seeing the login dialog.  THey really don't care if it's modal, if
the background is grey, or any of that stuff that seems to drive
developers to reinvent the authentication wheel in cookie-based
sessions.

2. It's not that HTTP Auth is better than what you can build with
cookies.  I don't know if it is or it isn't.  It's about not
reinventing a stack that's already there and functioning.  A decade
ago HTTP auth was not well implemented across browsers, but that was a
decade ago.

3. Digest Authentication does not send plain text, and is as easy to
setup as Basic.

The last paragraph, Reinier, the one that starts "There really is no
problem here...", I'm not getting your meaning.  HTTP Auth is just
another session that the developer doesn't have to program.  But it's
also a session that's maintained on the client, so it's consistent
with the "stateless server" constraint of REST, and general network
application scaleability.

My application has a "logout" feature.  It's a nice-to-have,
especially for me if I have to troubleshoot the appliation from a
user's terminal.  But as a real security feature, it doesn't get much
use.  If a user has to leave her work area and is concerned about
someone gaining unauthorized access, she is more likely to "CTL-ALT-
DEL,k" (which locks the entire computer) than to start logging out of
individual applications.  It's easy to implement logout properly in
IE, harder with other browsers because they don't support a "clear
identity cache" function, but still possible.  In fact, I wonder why
it is that the other browsers are not better in this respect.

Best,

Walden