I'll shoot from the hip and GUESS that the reason MIGHT
be that (hopefully) someone is fixing what I currently think
is a MAJOR flaw in the whole design/implementation of
events in GWT.

If I'm correct (that there really IS a flaw), it's that there needs
to be the concept of 'addEventListener' to every widget object
(instead of forcing one to subclass each widget, as seems to
be the case currently).

The problem as I see it is that stuff like 'addClickListener'
is very limiting, because you can't easily add events, like
double-click, etc, etc.

Sigh.  [But, I could be all wet with my guess/hope.]