Yeah it looks like IE is trying to actually format the xml to display
it on the page. If I stick another character in front of the xml
string I get this result from IE:

<TABLE width=400>
<P style="FONT: 13pt/15pt verdana">The XML page cannot be displayed
<P style="FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">Cannot view XML input using style
sheet. Please correct the error and then click the <A
href="javascript:location.reload()" target=_self>Refresh</A> button,
or try again later.
<HR>

<P style="FONT: bold 8pt/11pt verdana">Invalid at the top level of the
document. Error processing resource 'http://localhost:8888/
com.proprintsgear.design_lab.test6/loadXml'. Line 1, Position 1 </
P><PRE style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt;
FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><FONT color=blue>{&lt;?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&gt;
etc...

I'll try playing around with JSON. Thanks for your response, gregor.

-DLH