I appreciate your reply, Arun.

> Is this the only log got generated??? Because I suspect few logs
> should be available between "Propery 'catalina.base'" and "Could not
> find" messages.

When I run the shell script with the "-logLevel DEBUG" option, I get a
few more log records:

[INFO] Starting HTTP on port 8888
    [TRACE] Property 'catalina.base' not specified; checking for a
standard catalina base image instead
        [TRACE] Refreshing resources
            [DEBUG] Searching for resources within file:/D:/
            [DEBUG] No resources changed
        [WARN] Could not find com/google/gwt/dev/etc/tomcat/
    [DEBUG] catalina.base = D:\!Devel\gwt-windows-1.5.3\Test\tomcat
    [TRACE] Starting tomcat server
    [TRACE] Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.0.28
    [TRACE] XML validation disabled
    [TRACE] Create Host deployer for direct deployment ( non-jmx )
    [TRACE] Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8888
    [TRACE] Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8888
[TRACE] Starting URL: http://localhost:8888/test.Test/Test.html

> Check if tomcat folder has been created in ur GWT application's home
> directory with permissions to Read and Write. and even check if the
> application home directory is provided with Write access.

No, the tomcat folder is not created, despite the fact that everyone
has full perimissions to the application home directory :(