>  it won't help me very often
> when I do UI things, as layouts render differently in, for example, IE
> and FF (e.g. setWidth()/setHeight() differences re: including/
> excluding margins/padding) and thus I need to test my edits to layout
> in different browsers every time I make them.

Agreed that is a pain, but there isn't really anything anyone can do
about it, IE box model just works differently.

What i do to get round it when I want padding/margin around a
component is to use a SimplePanel (DIV) to wrap the component and
apply the padding/margin style to that instead of the component
itself. The DIV will grow to fill the available space in whatever box
it's put in but FF will shrink it to allow for the padding/margin,
whereas IE will size it flush to its container box and put the padding/
margin on the inside. Either way, if the component is sized to 100%,
100% of the DIV the result is the same in both browsers.