I am new to the Web application world; I am trying to encapsulate my
set of data in a JSONObject, convert to string, and send it  (async
POST) to a PHP page using GWT's RequestBuilder. GWT's tutorial
discusses the trip from the server back to the client and not the
other way around where I am unclear about.

Do I need to set the header? Currently I set it to:
 builder.setHeader("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-
urlencoded");

However, this works fine as long as am sending
key1=value1&key2=values where I can retrieve variable via $_POST
['key1'] or $_POST['key2']

But I am not sure how to send a JSON string where it can be retrieved
in a php page. I have tried sending myvar=MyJsonString but cannot
retrieve in my php page. How should $_POST reference the JSON object?

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian