I'll report a bit of data:

We have an app that uses GWT only for "headless" stuff (it's part of a
larger Angular application).  We have about 142k lines of GWT code.  We
recently built GWT from the tip of master (541858e0), and saw no issues in
upgrading to that from 2.7.0.

As we've started using lambdas in our code, we have run into one issue,
https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/8991.  We tried simply updating to
the new tip of master (which purports to contain the fix), but that caused
Guava to start failing because they haven't released a version that
contains
https://github.com/google/guava/commit/9e56ef17c335319d21f1f2c454176c9d32687a59
yet.  So instead of trying to also build guava from master, for now we've
just refactored the offending code to use a named inner class.

All in all, we're pretty happy with running from GWT master so far.  I
should also note that this app isn't in production yet; we hope that'll
happen in the next couple of months.