Somehow people seem to forget that they don't have to migrate at all if its
not profitable. Just stay on GWT 2.8.x and only start new projects with new
technology. There will be plenty of companies that have huge apps that will
not be rewritten anytime soon (if at all) so IMHO GWT 2.8.x will
continuously get bug fixes for years. Maybe in the long run not from the
Google GWT team because Google has the power to actually migrate their apps
and will probably focus on the new compiler then once that has happened.

Personally I consider the new Java to Closure compiler/transpiler as a
separate product. Migrating to a new product costs money and time so its
totally valid to not migrate. Our company will definitely not migrate
anytime soon unless there is an easy incremental migration path. Only new
stuff might be build with the new Java to Closure compiler.

-- J.