I do not know if permutations have reached a dead-end but i find that
'static' (in the sense related to the browser user agent) detection is
going to be hard to maintain.

Each new version of a browser (and the update is largely automatic) may
change the support so
compiling for a specific user agent does not give the ability to use new
features as soon as they are available
(this post more or less explains the two approaches ,'user agent' vs
'feature' detection, http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/detection/).

One approach may be to have an improved concept of permutation based on
features and not on the matching of
the user agent(*) but this would probably result in an huge number of
permutations and i do now know if the gain in term of download size
would justify the effort.

A.

(*) this is actually already possible in current GWT with the use of a
property provider.