I've had the same problem - was using GWT 2.8 and playing with a few
lambdas and such in my GWT code, and even though there was no Java 8 code
in my /server package, something (probably the target version in the
pom.xml) stopped the maven plugin from deploying, so I had to revert.

Fingers crossed they get round to Java 8 sooner rather than later!