> Is there anything that can be done to assist with progress?  Is there a
> problem with lack of interest in GWT from, say, Google?  Does GWT 2.8
> involve too many features when compared to 2.7? Is there a lack of
> developers working on GWT?  Are more testers needed?

Basically it has been decided to ship Java 8 API support with GWT 2.8 and
to make sure it works with the next Guava release which will require Java 8
APIs. If we don't do this then next Guava release would need to drop GWT
support, which is bad.

Currently some dependencies of stream support are in the review process,
and stream support itself has already been implemented but not yet pushed
to review. Also it seems like we need to fix some compatibility issues of
our emulation with future Guava.
Google developers do not work on Java 8 API emulation so GWT relies on
contributions. Three people (including me) have worked on it in the past
but of course we only do it in our spare time.

You can also read some comments
here: https://plus.google.com/104553077953666769660/posts/fb5HehBxHdC

You can help review Java 8 related contributions on Gerrit as most "easy"
Java 8 emulations have already been covered. What nobody has touched yet is
java.util.Base64 (pretty easy though), CompletableFuture (discussable but
we think its useful and can be emulated using native Promises or a fallback
impl) and of course java.time (generally doable but a bit more work).

-- J.