It seems to me that the answer to a bad feeling is to contribute time and
resources to help out, and I am going to try and do that. I would say that
the number of developers isn't the only problem.  I can't understand why an
earlier release wasn't made with Java 8 syntax support. My impression is
that this could have been done a year ago.  It would have been a huge
benefit for developers, and a morale boost for GWT users.  Also, why hasn't
there been a request for developers on the GWT groups?  There have been
requests to help with testing, but this gave the impression that a new
release was perhaps only weeks away.

I'm a dedicated GWT user.  I have substantial projects soon to be
released.  I don't see GWT going anywhere, as there is nothing that
provides what GWT does, which is to be able to write powerful web clients
using code written in a popular language with great tool support.  I have
found the ability to share code with non-web platforms to be outstanding -
it's a ideal demonstration of DRY.

But GWT needs better publicity and communication. Only yesterday I saw a
discussion about GWT on Quora in which it was stated that GWT was dead, and
also that GWT was a bad idea because it led to more code on the server!
I'd love to see good material about GWT 2.8 (when it comes) on a site like
infoq, to get GWT back into the 'headlines'.  Also a GWT conference is long
overdue.