As somebody that has also written js wrappers for arrays in jsinterop:

While I am not an expert I believe that what you are looking for simply it
is not possible. The other software cases  you mention are copying values
around (or serializing as already said). But with @jsinterop a collection
must be simply __is__. There is a certain level the overlay functions can
reach. Beyond that the chances is that you will have to create your own
class. This is what gwt has done. GWT java.util.collection is not build
around jsarray. I mean it may utilize a jsarray inside it but I am sure it
has also other private members.

If you have even one private member simply your class is not a jsarray
anymore...

For maps it is even more straightforward to see my point. javascript maps
are Object {} with keys always strings. Can you use it to build
java.util.Map<Integer, Integer>? Sure but it is not a simple js Object {}
anymore.

The only reason you may want to convert a java collection to a jsarray is
for feeding the data into a js library. Or convert the js output to a java
collection. jsinterop shouldn't copy my stuff around. It doesn't know how
to do that. But it can provide helpers to do it.

So If the collections, maps etc are not input or output only (immutable)
then a copy could be straight forward (performance may be a problem since
there is duplication of data).

However if the collection/map is mutable used by both input and output then
you need a java class implementing Collection/Map that is jsarray/Object
backed. Standardized helpers may also help in this case. Then you have the
spillover of js specific classes to your program logic you mentioned
earlier.

As I said before I maintain that this is unavoidable -- but I have been
wrong before :-)

    Vassilis

PS: The two cases of helpers can be coerced to one with the implementation
pf java Collection/Map backed by js object. Not sure how many practical
cases (existing js libraries) you can cover before things go ugly really
fast.

Vassilis Virvilis