Hi Rick,

In my experience RPC is very efficient - I have a 100 or so objects
serialising over the wire in less than 50ms, with simpler structures
taking even less time. Something that returns just a long should
complete in no time at all. Have you tried adding some timing logic to
the server code that produces that long value? What timings do you get
if you just return a hard long value?  Using a HTTP proxy like Charles
(http://www.charlesproxy.com/)  will shed some light on the size of
the RPC calls being made and will provide some more precise timings.

Good luck,

Chris.