There's really no way to get around it.  A 1 megapixel image is fairly
large.  The way I worked around this is to create smaller proxy images
that gets used (ie. 640 pixels wide or 320 pixels wide, depending on
how large the image is displayed).  This image must be resized and
served from the server.   For me, when the image needs to be enlarged,
I will then specifically replace the selected image with a larger
version dynamically.  When it's deselected, I replace it with the
proxy image again.  Thus, at any given time, there is only one high
resolution image.

The idea is fairly similar to how 3D environments are rendered.  Maps
that are more front gets rendered in more details while maps that are
in the background gets rendered with less.

In this particular case, size really does matter.

CK