Nick,

The widgetideas classes are deprecated because they are being replaced
by newer, improved versions in the gen2 package. The old classes are
still around to help people who are transitioning to the gen2
versions.

I'm not aware of a completely comprehensive guide to incubator
widgets, but there is a lot of demo code that can be very helpful. The
JavaDocs are also a good place to look for information on widget API.

- Isaac