Hi Joakim,
If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, it sounds like what you
want to do is add a GWT component to an existing application built with
handwritten JavaScript. Is that right?

If so, you should be able to accomplish that by taking the following steps:

1) Create an element on the existing application host page that your GWT
component can bind itself to. For example, you could create a <div> like so:

2) Code up your GWT component. In the component's onModuleLoad() method,
instead of attaching the main widget to the page using
RootPanel.get().add(mainPanel);, which will attach the component to the body
of the page, use RootPanel.get("myGwtComponent").add(mainPanel). This
instructs the GWT startup script to attach the component to an existing
element with the given id.

3) For any interactions you want to have between your GWT component and the
existing application, write interop methods using JSNI (see link below).

JavaScript Native Interface (JSNI):
http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5&s=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5&t=DevGuideJavaScriptNativeInterface

4) Finally, as is the usual case, add the <script> tag in your existing
application host page referencing the GWT bootstrap script
(<module>.nocache.js file).

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel