Sounds like a bug - you should file a bug (under the issues tab of the
googlecode page).  GWT's goal is that you shouldn't care about the browser
*unless you're doing some JSNI stuff).

If you figure out a workaround in code, you can hide it behind a deferred
interface & the GWT compiler will take care of everything for you.  Also, I
would recommend testing against Opera and/or Safari to provide a little more
perspective when you file the bug.