On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM, -Lord-67 <-lord...@web.de> wrote:

> First of all: Hi to everyone!
>
> I'm new to GWT and just programming my first app. Since i've some
> experience in Java it's not a big problem, but in this case i am stuck
> and hopefully someone can help me.
>
> In my app i make a RPC: On server side i get some data out of a
> database and save it into an array of type String. Up to 10.000
> Strings atm, later on maybe up to 50.000. It is no problem so far. The
> server is handling this really fast. I measured 5 RPCs with about 500
> Strings each and it took less time than 200 milliseconds each (SQL
> Statement + creating the array).
>
> The problem now is: I have to wait 5 SECONDS to get the results of the
> RPC (the String[] created on the server) on the client side so i can
> do something with them. Regarding the overall time i measured, these 5
> seconds are more than 75% of the time which my app needs. Is it
> possible that the serialization and deserialization takes that much
> time? I don't think so and i have no clue where this 5 seconds come
> from. If someone has any ideas, solutions, suggestions on this problem
> i would appreciate any help!

Seems your bootleneck is in the browser. Javascript is not very fast. Try
Chrome and if it is faster you can blame javascript . You can make chunks of
1000 Strings and update the UI in steps. The overwall performance
(throughput) will be worse, but the speed perception will be much better
(latency),