The GWT compiler should run just fine on any OS with a Java 1.5 JDK.
the compiled code should run on any supported browse (no matter what
the OS ... for instance it works fine on android and iPhone)

As for the Hosted mode, well that is pretty much de-emphasized as it
will be replaced with OOPHM in GWT 2.0, so I seriously doubt you'll
gain any traction in getting someone to develop a solaris specific
version.

You could try using the OOPHM version in SVN and see how that works
for you. Maybe the FF plugin works on solaris?

-jason