I also believe in the importance of build systems!  :)

My company's current project (medium size, about 32,000 lines of code)
uses a handwritten Ant build system.  We do, however, use the Maven
Ant tasks to manage our project's external dependencies.  In addition
to using Ant in our builds, we also use it for most of our deployment
tasks.  We develop on Windows (eclipse) and Linux (command-line and
emacs), and the build system accommodates this.

>From our build files, we:
1.) Call the GWT compiler directly.
2.) Massage the output to fit our deployment needs.
3.) Run jetty
4.) Run GWT hosted mode (with --noserver, which then interacts with
the jetty instance from step 3).

In general, I'm pretty happy with the build system.  It is flexible
enough for our needs, and is smart enough to build only what it needs
to.  It is, however, a large portion of our code base (about 4,000
lines of Ant XML, which is over 10% of the code base).

Tony
--
Tony Strauss
Designing Patterns, LLC