I work in a smallish-medium agile environment (12 developers for 3
teams, ~6 GWT 1.5 projects, of which 3 are actively developed during
an iteration) and we happily use maven to manage our projects'
lifecycles.

We used to compile our GWT app with the gwt-maven-plugin hosted at
google code but we recently moved to the mojo one (the merge between
the 2 plugins is finished as far as I can tell in version 1.1-
SNAPSHOT). The configuration is simpler and environment-agnostic (no
need to specify one profile for each OS, the plugin detects the OS and
sets up the correct dependencies automatically). We use the maven
project structure:
* sources in src/main/java
* unit tests sources in src/test/java
* resources in src/main/resources (including GWT module configuration,
html, css and image files, as well as text bundles (for localization
and such))
* war related files in src/main/webapp (currently only WEB-INF/
web.xml)

We set the GWT compiler to output files to target/gwt and then the war
plugin assembles the war file merging src/main/webapp and the gwt
compiler output. The resulting war is immediately deployable on a
tomcat.

We code in eclipse and let the m2eclipse plugin configure the project.
For debugging we create an eclipse launcher manually for each OS
(normally there's a goal in the gwt-maven-plugin to create a launcher
but we haven't tested it as the launcher doesn't change much over
time), and we add the following to the classpath: the project, the
maven classpath, the src/main/resources folder and the OS specific gwt-
dev jar

It all integrates very nicely and once the project is set up we rarely
think about configuration or building the project (as this is managed
automatically by a hudson build manager which polls the svn and builds
the war and deploys it when necessary). We can really concentrate in
coding with this setup.

I'm currently investigating the effort needed to migrate from GWT
1.5.3 to 1.6.4 and I have encountered some issues, mainly with the new
project structure and the hostedMode configuration. The new hosted
mode works quite differently, it now outputs the resource files
declared in the Module.gwt.xml file to a folder named like the module
(the location of this folder defaults to a folder named war at the
root of the project, but it can be configured with the argument -war)
and it now expects to find the WEB-INF folder and associated web.xml
file on that war folder. Currently I haven't managed to call RPC's due
to this change, but I guess I could configure the maven resources
plugin to copy the WEB-INF folder to the war folder during the process-
resources phase. I'll let you know if this works.

Cheers,

Salvador

PS: If you're interested in the project configuration I described
here, you can check out one of my pet projects at
http://code.google.com/p/hellagwt/.
If you need any help with maven-gwt integration, I'll be glad to
answer any questions in this thread.