Hi Russell,
To reinforce Vitali's point, you're not likely to gain much about how your
application will perform for your users by profiling it in hosted mode. For
most performance hot spots, testing the application and using it in the
hosted mode browser should be more than enough to sound the alarm on code
that is executing is slower than you would expect. Running a profiler over
hosted mode won't tell you much because of the extra inner workings inherent
to embedding a browser and driving its display, and even worse, might
actually mislead you into thinking that there are performance hotspots that
are actually non-issues in the deployed browser environment.

That said, profiling server-side RPC services is a great idea and I would
recommend profiling both through unit tests on the server-side and through
web mode profiling by deploying the application and observing it's behaviour
live.

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel