What I want to do is log in to an application.  Once logged in, the
user clicks a button to start a service.  Then the user will remain
logged in and monitor the service.  The service is used for
transferring files a different computer to the computer the web server
is running on.  The web page will update every minute with status of
server and bandwidth used.  User can log out and log in the next day
to the same service and continue to monitor the service.

Is this possible? I have been reading about setting a cookie with a
session id but I don't know if this is going to work or not.  Does
anyone know if you can maintain session state with a service and that
service continues to run in a daemon thread even if the user logs out?

Thanks for any response.