Depends on who initiates the service.  If it's the other machine (not the
web server), then in general no, unless you run a custom web server on it
that will convert resource requests (images or JS scripts only) into
commands (the authentication information will have to be encoded in the
names in addition to the commands if you have to have authenticated service)
.  This is quite complicated.

If the web server can control the service, then a simple authenticated RPC
call will suffice.  Don't bother with cookies if you are using RPC.
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/RpcAuth