I am using intellij 8.1 with no problem using GWT.  Just open up the
documents and follow the instructions.  It has changed slightly from
the directions in the flash demo on their web site.  When I clicked
... New...there was no option for GWT if you follow the instructions
from the flash demo but if you follow the instructions in the
documentation, it works with the 1.6.4 plugin.

Dave

Again,  follow the instructions in the manual