Not sure what your question is.  Are you trying to format for display?  Are
you trying to parse input?  Trying to determine something else?

Formatting & parsing already done for you:
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/1.4/com/google/gwt/i18n/client/DateTimeFormat.html

A hack (unless there's no better way) would be to use DateTimeFormat to
format a date so it displays a known time like year 0, month 1, day of month
1, hour 23, minute 0, second 0.  Then search for the number 23 in the
formatted string - if it's there, you're on military time - otherwise AM/PM.

However, this obviously has downsides because it makes assumptions about how
the locale formats the time (in particular assumes arabic numbers for time
format).