Sorry but I'm still not understanding exactly what you're trying to
do.

I got the part where you're saying that you want to store a timestamp
in a database. But is it the server-side time or client-side time ?

Either way, you shouldn't need to format dates to do that, just pass
the java.util.Date object in your RPCs and then instantiate your
timestamp from the date object before storing it in the database.

What are you're storing those timestamps for ? Because depending on
that, you might not want to trust the dates handed to you by your
clients and instead use the date of the actions you want to timestamp
in the server side of your code.