Depending on how you're updating your code across your multiple
servers, JVM serialization can be a pain to try and deal with,
especially for code bases that are constantly being updated.

I don't believe that you'll get far trying to use the GWT RPC stuff in
straight java. If JSON isn't for you, you can also look into something
like protocol buffers as the data interchange format.