On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Jason Essington
<jason.essing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What Vitali meant was not so much that the call itself was expensive
> at runtime, but rather the object instantiation that would happen at
> runtime to create the new async implementation (the new MyAsyncImpl()
> call).

I think he was actually talking about the cost in hosted mode only.
In web mode, the choices regarding what to return from GWT.create()
are already made and the call is no more expensive than any other
constructor invocation.  In hosted mode things are different, though.
The GWT compiler runs incrementally in hosted mode so the first time a
given call to GWT.create() is encountered, the compiler has to do a
whole bunch of work.  Vitali's suggestion lets you avoid running the
compiler until absolutely necessary which means that you can load your
app, click on the admin page and make sure that the save button works
without invoking any GWT.create() calls that manage customer RPCs.
It'll save you time when you're only looking at part of your app,
which is pretty typical for a dev environment.

Ian