That's exactly it Ian.  Additionally, I found that if I didn't cache it in a
singleton, neither did GWT.create.  So it redid it every time on the
GWT.create call - on my q6600 desktop, it was about 2-4 seconds of overhead
if I recall correctly.  On my Turion 64 x2 2ghz laptop, it was 3-6 seconds.
Also, even in web-mode, the advantage is you only call the constructor once
per service (unless GWT caches it in a singleton for you - I'm not sure on
this point, but I'd guess the answer would be that it doesn't), but
presumably that wouldn't be a hotspot in your code anyways.