Hi Chuck,
A possible solution would be to break out any text that you want to trigger
an event on into individual HTML snippets, for example:

HTML htmlSnip1 = new HTML("Hello ");
HTML htmlSnip2 = new HTML("world!");
htmlSnip2.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler() {
  @Override
  public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
    Window.alert("Salut tout le monde!");
  }
});

In general though, I don't think this is a good approach to using click
handlers to trigger application actions. I don't think that having clickable
text that actions a click handler is intuitive from the user's point of
view. Perhaps there are situational constraints that make it so that you
have to design the application this way, but if not, I recommend considering
another approach that is more intuitive and coherent with the user
experience. If you do use the clickable text approach, you'll probably want
to style the clickable HTML snippets in a way that makes it as intuitive to
the user as possible that clicking the text will trigger some kind of
action.

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel