My solution is this:
1. Create a new CSS class:
.not-displayed {
        display: none !important;
}

2. In my PagingScrollTable subclass's ctor:
  for ( int index = 0, numWidgets = getWidgetCount(); index <
numWidgets; index++ ) {
    Widget widget = getWidget( index );
    if ( widget instanceof Image ) {
      // Well, we can't remove the widget...AbstractScrollTable
prevents that. So, add a style that
      //  will cause it to not be displayed...
      widget.addStyleName( "not-displayed" );
      break;

I know it's fragile, but having the button just confuses my users.

Please...make sure that when this widget graduates to core that:
  1. This button's behavior is configurable
  2. The button's presence is configurable

thanks,

jay