Yep I am using GWT 1.6

And I came up with a solution that will work on all types of servers
does not matter if its tomcat or what ever.

I wrote a simple servlet that returns the root URL for your site, and
then I add this to the location, works great, no problems with  using
tomcat or others.

package com.cindiescreations.CindiesCreations.server;

import com.cindiescreations.CindiesCreations.client.RootURL;
import com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet;

public class RootURLImpl extends RemoteServiceServlet implements
RootURL {

        @Override
        public String getRootURL(String nop) {
                HttpServletRequest req = getThreadLocalRequest();
                String reqUrl = req.getRequestURL().toString();

                                // TODO: do a scan of the string to
make it more usable.
                reqUrl = reqUrl.substring(0, reqUrl.length()-25);
                return reqUrl;