You can generally hook into when a widget is ready in the DOM by
overriding it's onLoad() method.

However, if you have Images you need to do more work as whilst the DOM
aspect of the Image widget may be ready in DOM it may not have size as
the actual image is not downloaded yet - your resizing is most likely
working a second time around as images are also already cached and
available immediately.

I can think of two options of the top of my head, there are probably
more

a) use LoadHandlers on your Image(s) these will tell you when the
Image has loaded and then you can trigger your resize (however, it's
not 100% perfect with IE and the current version of GWT -
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=863&q=ie%20loadlistener)
b) enforce Image size using CSS either directly on the Image, or put
the Image widget in another container (SimplePanel, for example) and
set Image to 100% and size of SimplePanel to what you require through
CSS
c) do what you're doing with a timer until approach in (a) is fixed in
gwt

I wonder though if you can't achieve what you want just by using
percentages in Style Sheet....

Hope that helps

//Adam