On 29 juin, 17:19, Paul van Hoven <paul.van.ho...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I developped a gwt app over the last 3 months. But i found out that
> the compiled js file is too large. In total it has a size of 411KB.
> Therefore i thought it would be a good idea of splitting up my
> application and create some modules. My goal is to split the whole
> application up into parts of about 60K-100K. At least the start page
> should load very quickly. I have no experience in using modules in gwt
> and the google documentation seems to be very brief on this topic.

Er, just to be sure, what do you mean by "in total [it has a size
of...]"? If a single *.cache.html is 411KB then, well, it's not *that*
big (well, our app is approx. 380KB, we're working on it for a year
and a half, but we're sticking to extremely "basic" things because our
target is IE6 and we obviously don't want our app to be sluggish).
You might want to refactor your app to limit the number of classes (it
also means potentially avoiding third-party widget libraries, most
being bloated (IMO)) and for example use JSO overlays instead of
com.google.gwt.json.*, etc.

> What is the best approach for splitting up my application?

Splitting your code in modules won't help (or will turn maintenance
into a nightmare, depending on how you compile them).

IMO, you'd better trying the "trunk" (future GWT 2.0) instead of GWT
1.6 (or 1.5), as it comes with many bonuses re. code size et al.,
including splitting output in multiple, small files (search for
"runAsync").