I have seen this alot with multiple GWT modules that my team has
built. The root of the problem is a timing issue between GWT
downloading and executing the moduleLoad and the page actually being
done downloading all its content and rendering the host page. I am not
surprised that disabling compression helped a few posters because
compression adds an additional step for IE to write the data to disk,
uncompress, and update the cache (index.dat) with the entry. The
additional compression sometimes wreaks havoc since there are bugs in
IE that hang threads when there is a lot of dynamic javascript loading
static content like gifs and css. If the resource requests are not
satsified from cache there are often many aborted http requests made
that tie up threads (you can see this with a tool like IEWatch). Alot
of times, the hang or issue with onmoduleload will go away when your
cache is primed because it avoids the additional aborted calls.

We solved this by doing a few things:

1) Make your onmoduleLoad re-entrant - meaning if its called twice, it
will only execute once and the second time won't "fail".
2) Gwt will either call onModuleLoad or IE can call onModuleLoad in
its onload methods if Gwt hasn't done it yet. One of them will work!
3) Pre-load any static content on your page -- like CSS and GIFs so
that your cache is primed before your GWT app requests content. This
will reduce your exposure to timing issues and compression.

By doing this we avoided onModuleLoad never being called -- it always
works from at least one call b/c IE's body.onload won't fire until all
the non-deferred resources have been downloaded.