Again, I have answered my own question after a lot of brain straining
and head banging.

It suddenly occurred to me that even in satelittle modudle you still
need to specify the *.client and *.server packages to seperate out the
logic of that you want GWT to compile and that you dont.

Putting my Manager classes into a mypackage.server package sorted it.