Hi Philip,
The Google Eclipse Plugin is not entirely compatible with Maven, so I
suspect the interaction between the two plugins may be the source of your
troubles.  Is it possible to create another GWT project which does *not* use
the Maven plugin, and see if you run into similar problems?  Let me know
what you find.

Keith